Thursday, April 30, 2015

DADDY, WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO DIE?

Our guest writer for today...  Dr. Larry Pettonjesus with children photo: Jesus with children jesus_w_children_600.jpg

Years ago I heard the compelling story of a young pastor whose son was very sick and not expected to live long. Night after night the pastor and his wife would put their boy to bed and say a prayer hoping for a miracle. One evening, the boy looked at his father and said, "Daddy, what does it feel like to die?"

The father struggled to speak a word. He said a quick prayer for courage, put his hand on the face of his child and said, "Son, it’s something like this. Night after night you go to sleep on the couch watching your favorite tv shows. You don’t know it, but I find you asleep and come and take you in my arms and place you in the room I built for you with my own hands."
The young pastor could barely finish.

"And, son, one of these days........you are going to fall asleep here, but don’t be afraid. Jesus is going to come and pick you up and take you to a special room He has built just for you."

*****************************************************************************
As most of you know, my sister Maggie passed away a mere six days ago but it seems like an eternity! Even though my sister was not a child, but a grown women, the pain is still horrible! I found the above short story by Dr. Petton very comforting, what a wonderful way to illustrate death to a child, or any one for that matter.

14 comments:

  1. This is so true. It is easy enough for a child to understand, and a perfect illustration for an adult! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it Riki, so true a person of any age could understand this illustration. I will remember it for a long time.

      Delete
  2. Just what I needed Hisdaughter, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laila, so happy you enjoyed it! you are very welcome. How is your leg doing these days?

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this article, it is very helpful and timely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sarah! I am so happy it was useful to you!!!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful article, great to use not only for children but with adults as well. You are a great writer, a great wordsmith Hisdaughter, these guest writers are interesting and good as well, I love this section, but they in no way take away from you, just want you to know that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are far to sweet Christy! thank you so much though, I am thrilled that you like articles and things I share here.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful tool, really makes one think, thank you so much for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, great hearing from you it's been a while. How is the new baby doing? So true, this article taught me a few things as well!

      Delete
  6. This is pure and simple phonetic genius !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't of said it any better Smilja! So happy you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  7. What a great way to explain "it" to a child! and even an adult for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely true! it can be told or explained in such a way that a person of any age would get it! Nice to hear from you Masha!

    ReplyDelete